Monday 18 October 2021

Up-cycled Summer BBQ Caddy - By Deb Stephens

Front View - BBQ Caddy

 This caddy was made from all recycled materials from a stall holder at my local markets. As soon as I saw it, I knew what it would be. My last BBQ caddy had just died and I thought this would make a fantastic upgrade, just in time for our Australian Summer and BBQ season.

Original Caddy - Made from all recycled materials

And I really didn’t need a lot of product to finish this. I first sealed the wood with a wood sealer as it was quite rough and I knew it would absorb a LOT of paint if I didn’t. I then painted it all over with iCraft Chalk paint in Lights Out (such a gorgeous colour!) I then measured out the panels I wanted to cover and added a few centimeters on each side and measured and cut them out of the beautiful Foiled Country Garden Decoupage paper. I then added iCraft Decoupage glue to the panels (one panel at a time) and then placed the paper on top. I used an old bank card to smooth out any air bubbles, starting from the middle and moving outwards till all creases are eased out and excess glue comes out from the sides. I wiped off the excess glue with a baby wipe. 


Inside View of BBQ Caddy
 
Back View of BBQ Caddy

Once the panels were dry, I used a fine grit sandpaper to lightly run over the edges so that it makes removing the excess paper so much easier. If I took off some paint, I just touched it up again later. I then finished the caddy off with two coats of furniture grade waterproof sealer. 

I hope you enjoyed this simple project and look forward to seeing you all next month!



No comments:

Post a Comment